Il y a un instant, entre la quinzième et la seizième gorgée de champagne, où tout homme est un aristocrate...

Saturday 17 September 2011

se fixer 1 (=s’installer) to settle ◆ il s’est fixé à Lyon he settled in Lyon...


...this made me smile when I stumbled across it during one of my many frantic dictionary searches. Having been in Lyon for over a week now, I am starting to settle in this beautiful city. Everytime I cross one of the many bridges as we stroll back from a couple of civilised drinks in vieux Lyon, I cannot help but feel a little bit smug that I am now living, although temporarily, in such an amazing city. This week has felt at times like more of an emotional bungee jump than a rollercoaster ride but as long as I keep myself busy, I find myself feeling more content with life in Lyon.

Freshers week at University Lyon 2 or ‘la période d’intégration’ as they call it has been a mixture of stress, confusion, enjoyment and introductions. The battle for a working internet connection continues, improving my French IT jargon along the way. It may seem sad but it doesn’t help the feeling of being homesick when cut off from the world because of a stupid Internet connection. The stress also came with the search for our Uni timetables as they make it as difficult as possible to find out when and where you should be at a class. However, as this week comes to a very hungover but relaxing end, I’ve increased my ‘friend list’ in Lyon by about 50 % and decreased my amount of brain cells and liver strength by the same amount.

I was also introduced to the amazing bike system in Lyon and am no longer a VeloV virgin. I must admit I’m still confused as to which side of the road to cycle on and whether I should be on the road or the pavement and what to do down a one way street and if I should stop at traffic lights or not? I would just follow all the other savvy Lyonnais cyclists but they don’t seem to know what they’re doing either…

Yesterday I went on the best bike ride, and I know it sounds clichéd but it felt so good to go exploring alone with the wind in my hair and the excitement of not knowing what’s around the next corner. I cycled on a massive fly-over that crosses the railway track as the sun was setting and this shuffled itself onto my ipod to accompany. It's hard to escape the clichés in France, but it was just one of those ‘yes!’ moments, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment